By Michelle Fish
Like a white russian and a summer picnic had a love child, this deliciously herbacious cocktail is the perfect way to celebrate summer on a lovely warm date night with your honey.
By day, you can get it (sans alcohol) as an LTO (Limited Time Offer) at your local BIGGBY Coffee (find yours here). But you can dress it up for night time, too. Bob shows you how, and we have the complete list of ingredients and instructions below.
From our date night (and our kitchen) to yours, CHEERS!
The Blackberry Sage Latte Cocktail
For two cocktails:
4 oz White Rum (we used Bayou Rum)
2 oz Gin (we used The Botanist)
2 oz Monin Blackberry Syrup
2 oz Espresso or very strong coffee (watch Bob make “cheater’s espresso” here)
Half and Half to Taste
Muddler (we used the Barillo Big Shot Muddler and Ice Bag)
2 Small dishes for rimming the glasses
Bob used BIGGBY Best to make the espresso. We’re particularly excited about this blend because 30% of it comes Farm Direct from our partners in Nicaragua, the El Recreo Coffee Estate. You can learn more about El Recreo, the Ferry family and the wonderful work they are doing in Nicaragua here.
- For the garnish, put 1 oz of Monin Blackberry syrup in one small dish, and 2 tbls Sugar in the second small dish.
- Candy the sage leaves by dipping them in the syrup, and then coating them in the sugar.
- Use the toothpick to spear one blackberry, then the sage leaf, then another blackberry.
- Sugar the rocks glasses by dipping the very top of the glass in the syrup (approximately 1/4 of an inch down the glass), then dipping the glass in the sugar so that the sugar coats the syrup.
- Combine the rum, gin, monin blackberry syrup, and the espresso in a small pitcher, and stir to combine.
- Add crushed ice to the rocks glasses approximately almost to the top.
- Pour cocktail mixture into each glass, leaving 1/2 an inch room.
- Add half and half to desired taste.
- Garnish with the prepared toothpicks.
- Look each other in the eye and say “CHEERS!”